NoAudiophile DSP Correction Overview
What are you doing?
Easiest explanation is that I'm adjusting the frequency response flat by turning down any peaks to bring it all down to the lowest output level that is just acceptable to me. I also listen, alot. I spend more time with these cheap speakers than I do my main rig, corrections can take up to 300 hours of listening and working with measurements. I also tweak and update corrections to fine tune with new tactics I've discovered that produce better results, the more confident I am with my measurements the more accurate I can get.
How do I use these corrections
Instructions are on every correction page, also a MiniDSP should work in a system that does not have a PC.
How loud are these speakers before you correct them?
This is with the volume knob in a fixed position on my test rig. Note that a 3.7ohm Micca is going to pull twice as many watts as the 7.6ohm OSD AP490 from the amp for a fixed measurement.. so this is not a perfect graph, but it will give you an idea of what to expect. Note that these are smoothed 1/1 in an attempt to show average spl level.
How loud are these speakers after you correct them?
Dude, Flat sound like ass.
Dude, some people prefer color in their sound. I've got a menu for that, to add color back into the corrections for that transparency, speed, attack, clarity, etc. that audio reviewers go on about.
These are the secrets that I've unlocked so far. I have not found them to universally work for all speakers. Use at your own risk, goofy sounds can be addictive.
Also remember to use the preamp level to cut it make sure there is no gain added to the digital signal, digital distortion is real and it's ugly.
|Move imaging forward||Filter 1: ON PK Fc 1600 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 1.00|
|Move imaging backward||Filter 1: ON PK Fc 1600 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 1.00|
|Transparency(or the B&W filter)||Filter 1: ON PK Fc 5000 Hz Gain -5.0 dB Q 4.00|
|Warmth||Filter 1: ON PK Fc 220 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 1.50|
|Detail||Filter 1: ON PK Fc 8000 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 2.50|
|Analytical||Filter 1: ON PK Fc 18000 Hz Gain 4.0 dB Q 0.70|
So what do I do now?
Buy some cheap speakers, and apply the corrections. Also, if you are in a giving mood you can email me to let me know what you really think.
Other content you may like:
- New Scores for all reviewed speakers - Compare and sort for fun!
- Creative Sound Solutions DIY Solution for the high end - CSS Criton 1TD v2 review is up!
- Dayton Makes a Budget Desktop speaker with a crossover - Dayton Audio MK402 review is up!
- Smaller than small, deeper than deep - iLoud Micro Monitor review is up!
- Vanatoo's new speaker, The Transparent Zero review is up!
- SVS Prime Bookshelf Review is now available for your viewing pleasure
- ELAC A-Stock UB5 Listening Impressions are up!
- The Fall of the THX standard, and a bit about some speakers - The Logitech z623 THX review is up!
- 30 years in the making, the ancient Bose 901 finally gets measured - The Bose 901 review is up!
- Lock and load, we are hitting the bottom of the barrel with both barrels - The Logitech z313 review is up!
- Bulletproof speakers... No, it's just the B&W 686 S2 Review!
- Declare independence from the British sound! - The KEF Q300 review is up!
- Recommended System Finder - Just in time for the Holidays!
- NoAudiophile.com field trip - RMAF 2015 Day 1 Show Report!
- NoAudiophile.com field trip - RMAF 2015 Day 2 Show Report!
- NoAudiophile.com field trip - RMAF 2015 Day 3 Show Report!
- JBL LSR308 Studio Montor - Super Massive Epic Review!
- Two years after starting this site I finally get around to talking about my stereo.
- Small and cheap speakers transform into retarded and good... Micca COVO-S Review!
- AMT tweeter on a B652? The Dayton B652-AIR is reviewed for great justice!
- JBL LSR305 Studio Monitor Review!
- NoAudiophile.com field trip - Dude likes the way it looks, I hate the way it sounds
- NoAudiophile.com field trip - Crazy beautiful speakers and too many amps
- NoAudiophile.com field trip - Time machine engaged!
- Zu Essence Review!
- NoAudiophile.com field trip - lots of tubes and massive horns